Saturday, June 22, 2013

This has to Stop, Now! Band together Women!

I'm not a big celebrity follower. But when this story popped up on my Facebook feed, I couldn't help but be intrigued! I didn't follow Kate Middleton's journey to becoming a Princess, didn't even watch the wedding, although they picked a great day, my birthday! ;-) But really isn't that every little girls thought at one point, what it would be like to become a Princess? I definitely don't envy the spotlight, the attention of the media, I've never wanted to be famous for that reason. I can't imagine warding off paparazzi and having your every move printed!

I am delighted to hear Kate's plans for a natural birth for her baby. Which seems to include, a family support system, hynobirthing methods and a birth pool. Sounds great to me, go for it Kate!

But of course her choices are drawing the naysayers out of the woodwork, come to attack her, just like every other woman who makes plans like this seems to be attacked. Why can't we as women come together to support each other in our greatest moment of being a female? Birth is what our bodies were created for. How we've come so far from what our bodies know how to do is beyond me. Birth is an amazing feat for a woman, it's not easy and everyone's journey is different. But it's the first step in becoming a mother. What's more awesome then that? What's more empowering and feminine? Why.......why, why, why can't we support each other in what ever hope we have for birth?!?!?

I feel it's our duty as women! I guess blame our culture for the spirit of judgement, but in this instance I feel it's unacceptable! We live in a day and age where as women we have so many choices to us for child birth, and the freedom to decide which route we want to take! As women we need to support each others decisions to birth in a hospital, with as much or as little help as we feel necessary. Or the woman who wants to birth at home without any pain medication. Or any combination on the spectrum of choices. IT IS OUR CHOICE!

I feel you Kate, and every other woman who has met this kind of criticism. I certainly heard enough of it when I told people my plans for a home birth.

So enough, is enough Ladies. Next time you hear someone talk about their impending birth, embrace them, their plan their vision and then support them in this greatest act of feminism. I hope and I pray for each of you on this journey that you get the birth you envision and crave. Women deserve it.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment